How to Pick the Right Real Estate Agent
- posted 9.17.2019
- Taylir Paynter
- Real Estate Tips
Buying or selling a home is an exciting time and can also be an overwhelming experience, even for the seasoned homeowner. When you’re buying or selling a home, you’ll likely reach out for professional help from a Real Estate Agent.
While there’s no rule stating you need to work with an agent, a real estate professional can help guide you through the stressful and complicated process. There are several ways to find an agent, but how do you know which one is right for you?
Let’s explore some tips on how to pick the right Real Estate Agent and what qualities you should look for. Keep in mind you will want to make sure you hire someone who will help you with all your homebuying needs.
1. Talk to a mortgage lender: Before you start looking for a Real Estate Agent, you should speak with a mortgage lender first, so you can learn how much you can afford. By doing this, you can get preapproved, which will help you determine what price range works with your budget. Contact New American Funding to get started on this process.
2. Where can you locate a Real Estate Agent? Many homebuyers will rely on their friends and family for a Real Estate Agent referral. Working with an agent who’s been referred to you may make you more comfortable during the process. However, while referrals are great, that doesn’t necessarily mean you should hire the first agent you meet. You should take your time when choosing one and interview each to ensure you find someone who is a good fit for your needs. If for some reason you don’t have a referred Real Estate Agent, here are a few other options you may want to consider:
- Drive around your neighborhood: Take note of the “for sale” signs from Real Estate Agents who work in or around your area.
- Attend open houses: Visit a few open houses and talk with the agent. By having a conversation with them, you may realize that you and the agent can work well with each other.
- Search online: Online search engines are a great way to find an agent and you can break the search down by zip code.
3. What should you look for in a Real Estate Agent? The number one thing to look for is responsiveness. You will want an agent who answers your phone calls or replies to emails quickly. By having an agent that does these things, it may allow you to be the first to make an offer on the dream home that you’re looking at.
You should also look for an agent who is knowledgeable with the area you’re looking to buy or sell in. By doing this, you’ll be more informed about the pros and the cons of the neighborhood you’re interested in.
4. What type of Real Estate Agent do you need? Before you start the process of finding a Real Estate Agent, you should first think about what type of agent you will need. There are three different types, which are a buyer’s agent, seller’s agent and the agents who represent both. Here’s an explanation of each:
- Buyer’s agent: A buyer’s agent will represent the buyer in the real estate transaction. This consists of locating listings in your price range, scheduling the showings, being in charge of making the offer and handling any negotiations that may need to happen.
- Seller’s agent: A seller’s agent (also known as the listing agent) will represent the seller. This agent will make suggestions about the sale price and put the home on the market to be sold, while advertising the property. This type of agent also will schedule the open houses and will negotiate if needed. If you happen to use the same agent to sell your current home and help you with buying a new one, then your agent will act as the seller’s agent for the sale of your current home and the buyer’s agent on the purchase of your new home.
Finding the right Real Estate Agent may take a little bit of time but it can pay off in the end. If you follow these tips above, you’ll be able to find an agent that will help land your that dream home you’ve been looking for. Contact a New American Funding Loan Officer today to start the process!