Basics 101: Moving Into Your New Home
- Jun. 7, 2012
- Diana Khong
- Real Estate Tips
The day has finally arrived! You've gone through the arduous steps of buying a home and now it's time to move in! It's customary that on the day your loan is funded, you will receive the keys to your new home as well. While you should be very excited about moving in, we all know "the move" can have its issues unless you take the right steps to keep it as painless as possible.
So let's talk about a few things to consider when planning your move.
Moving and Packing
- Do you need long distance movers or just local movers? Either way you will want to have a moving company in place about 4 to 8 weeks prior to the move. Check out what to look for when choosing a moving company.
- About a month before the move, you need to decide whom you need to notify of your move, and set up a moving notification checklist.
- Packing certain belongings can be a head scratcher.
Interior Design and Decorating
Another fun part about buying a new home, is all the new ways you will get to design and decorate it. How does this relate to moving? Well, depending on the look and feel that you want, as well as the space your new home offers, there may be a few things you want to get rid of before you even move. If you find you have a bunch of stuff that you no longer want, consider donating to charity, having a garage sale, or dispersing to family members.
For design and decorating ideas talk to friends, check out magazines and search online. There's so much out there, so have fun with it!
People love to attend housewarming parties, so here are a few tips to make sure all goes as planned.
- When sending out invitations give good driving directions — this is the first time many of your family and friends will be visiting your new home.
- Get your friends together and make it a potluck! You could even choose a fun theme to really make it a memorable occasion.
- Don't forget to give tours! If you have made major renovations to your home, post a before picture outside of each room while under construction — people will love seeing the wonderful transformation!