What's Hot in Houses - Infographic
- posted 8.22.2018
- Taylir Paynter
- Home Life
What are buyers looking for in a house? There’s several features that buyers are looking for when it comes time to purchase a new home. Do you know what those features are? Check out our latest infographic to find learn more about what the most important property must-haves are in order to attract the most number of buyers.
- The most popular attributes for homes, according to realtor.com are: Large backyards, garages, and updated kitchens!
- Young homebuyers with children showed the most desire for finding a large yard, and the greatest interest in living near a good school.
- The most-desired home style: Ranch Homes!
- 42% of home shoppers say they’re looking for a ranch home. The second most common style was contemporary at 28%, followed by craftsman and colonial styles.
- The favorite room in the home: Kitchens!
- 80% of homebuyers ranked the kitchen as one of their 3 favorite rooms in a home. Master bedrooms followed the kitchen with 49% and living rooms at 42%.
- The top goal when searching for a home: Privacy!
- Majority of homebuyers said privacy and having space that was solely their own was a top goal when in house-hunting mode.
- What motivates millennial homebuyers the most: Family needs!
- Homebuyers up to 44 years old cited family needs as the top reason to buy a home. Majority of this age group also said their motivation to move was to find a better school district or change family circumstances.
- The typical home purchased in 2017 was 1,870 square feet in size and built in 1991. It had three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
- 83% of all homes purchased were detached single-family homes for buyers under 36 years old.
- Quality of the neighborhood (60%), convenience to job (43%), and overall home affordability (40%) were the three most-important factors to homebuyers when choosing a neighborhood for buyers under 36.
- 51% of all buyers consider it desirable to have exterior lighting.
- 86% of all buyers consider ceiling fans to be essential.
Features to Look For:
- Big modern bathrooms
- Soaking tubs are more popular than claw-foot tubs
- Laundry and mud rooms
- Big kitchens
- Stainless steel sinks and appliances
- Quartz countertops are more popular than marble
- White cabinets are more popular than dark cabinets
- Gas stovetops are more popular than electric
- Master suites
- Work-out space
- Open floor plans and neutral colors
- High ceilings
- Lots of natural light
- Hardwood floors are more popular than carpet
- Bay windows are more popular than floor-to-ceiling