Jumbo Loan Overview
Sometimes traditional loans aren’t enough to buy the home you really want. A Jumbo loan is a mortgage that can exceed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac's conforming loan limits of $484,350, or up to $726,525 in some high-cost areas for 2019. Also known as non-conforming loans, Jumbo loans and Super Jumbo loans offer the flexibility of borrowing with less restrictions.
Jumbo Loan Benefits
- Flexible terms: Your loan, the way you want it, with loan options up to $3 Million (up to $15 Million in CA and WA)
- Ratios: Higher debt to income ratio allowed
- Non-occupying co-borrowers allowed: A family member or friend who won't be living in the home can co-sign to help you qualify
- Options up to 90% LTV: We have a variety of programs available, get preapproved today and start shopping tonight
- Fixed and ARM programs available
Refinancing a Jumbo Loan:
- Lower your interest rate and monthly payment: Stay on track with your financial goals
- Change the terms of your loan: Pay off your mortgage sooner, build equity faster, ask about our available programs
- Get cash out: Pay off high-interest debt, finance expenses, remodel, or spend as you wish
- Refinance into a Jumbo ARM loan: Enjoy your savings up front
Jumbo Loan Requirements
Because a jumbo loan is designed for those who wouldn’t necessarily qualify for a conventional loan, applicants will likely need a higher credit score to qualify since the risk is higher on the part of the lender with no guarantee provided by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.
Take a look at our Jumbo vs Conventional Loan infographic for helpful comparisons between the two.
Jumbo loans are available for primary residences, vacation homes, or investment properties.
- Loan amount may exceed the traditional loan limit of $484,350, or up to $726,525 in some areas
- Low down payments: You won't need a large down payment to get into the home of your dreams
- Ratios: You can incur a higher debt to income ratio while still enjoying competitive interest rates and loan terms
- Flexible terms: New American Funding offers several loan terms based on your goals and qualifications
You will need to demonstrate that you have enough cash on hand to cover your payments depending on the size of the loan. You should expect to offer proof by way of pay stubs and two years’ worth of W2 forms and 1099s. Some lenders may also require an additional appraisal of the home you’d like to buy.
You will also need demonstrable liquid assets to qualify for a jumbo loan along with cash reserves equal to six months of mortgage payments.
“How much should my down payment be for a jumbo loan?”
While in previous years, borrowers were asked to put down 30% of the purchase price, today this has dropped to between 10-15%. As it relates to private mortgage insurance, the same rules apply to jumbo loans—borrowers will need to put down at least 20% to avoid paying for such insurance.
Jumbo Loan Options
- A Fixed Rate offers the security of a stable monthly payment
- Get a Jumbo ARM loan and enjoy upfront savings with initial lower payments
- An Interest Only loan allows borrowers to make payments toward only the interest portion of the loan
Jumbo Loan Rates
Although jumbo mortgages typically have higher interest rates, they are becoming more competitive with conventional mortgages and in some cases are actually lower.
Contact us today to get jumbo mortgage rates.